Steps to create Government Gateway account:
- Go to the GOV.UK sign in page
- Click Green ‘Sign in’ tab
- Enter the email address where asked. You’ll be sent an authorisation code, which you’ll need to enter in order to verify your email account.
- Enter your full name
- Set up a password when prompted
- Set up a recovery password to use if you can’t access your account in the future
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.
Depending on the service you intend to use you will need to choose either an Individual, Organisation or Agent account. To do this you will need to log in again using the ID and password you have created.
- Register for an ‘Individual Account’ if you want to use the online service for your personal affairs – For example, registering for self-assessment, report rental income or check your tax code.
- Register as an ‘Organisation accounts’ if you are a business, or you represent one – This will mean you require additional HMRC services for your business (such as for VAT or PAYE for Employers). If you register as an organisation, your registration only enables you to make transactions on behalf of that organisation.
- If you’re a sole-trader (self-employed) and you require services accessible through the business tax account in addition to registering to file your self-assessment tax return online, you should choose ‘Organisation’. You’ll then need to add the self-assessment online access to that account, so you’re able to switch between your personal tax account and business tax account as required.
- If you have multiple businesses, create a separate government gateway account for each business so that each businesses details are held in one place.
- Add and activate taxes to your government gateway account as soon as you have registered for them.